Today is National Pie Day!
In honor of National Pie Day, we’ve compiled a list of ten fun facts about the great American dessert that is sure to leave you sur-PIE-sed!
- Apple pie is the number one pie preferred by nearly 20% of Americans, followed by pumpkin, pecan, banana cream, and cherry.
- Pumpkin pie was first introduced to the traditional holiday feast in 1623.
- Have you ever had pie for breakfast? In the 19th century, fruit pies were commonly eaten for the first meal of the day.
- 7% of Americans have passed off a store-bought pie as homemade.
- For a short period of time, it was against the law to serve ice cream with cherry pie in Kansas.
- Boston Cream Pie is not a true pie– it’s a cake.
- Two states have official state pies. In Florida, the key lime pie is the official pie. In Vermont, the apple pie is the official pie.
- The average American eats six slices of pie each year.
- The first pies were savory instead of sweet. They were filled with meat, rectangular in shape and called “coffins,” meaning “basket” or “box.”
- According to the Oxford Dictionary, the word “pie” most likely comes from the word “magpie.” Magpie refers to “a person who collects things, especially things of little use or value,” which can be compared to the variety of pie fillings that exist.
Did we leave you wanting pie?
Marie Callender’s is famous for its delicious pies… but if you’re in the mood to try someplace new, here are some of our suggestions:
- House of Pies (Los Angeles, CA)
- Pie Hole (Los Angeles, CA)
- Julian Pie Company (Julian, CA in San Diego County)- They are well-known for their apple pies. The Julian area is surrounded by apple orchards, which make the perfect filling for their pies.
- Pie ‘N Burger (Pasadena, CA)
- Bonert’s Slice of Pie (Santa Ana, CA)
- Knott’s Farm Bakery (Buena Park, CA)- They are famous for their boysenberry pie. If you’re up for the challenge, sign up for their annual Coaster Run (5K, 10K, and Kids run) in March. You get a slice of boysenberry pie after crossing the finish line!
- La Palma Chicken Pie Shop (Anaheim, CA)- Although they also have dessert pies, they are known for their chicken pot pies!
- Nita Bee’s Specialty Bakery and More (San Jose, CA)