Flood Insurance: Not Included in a Standard Home Insurance Policy!

It’s near the end of another year and everyone is coming out with their “Best of 2011” lists, as well as predictions for next year…and the subject of weather is no different.  There have already been predictions that the new year is going to start off much cooler in the western part of the U.S., prompting a call from the California Insurance Commissioner to homeowners – be prepared.  So if you’re a homeowner, make sure you know what’s covered in your homeowners policy.  Here are the basics of what a standard homeowners insurance policy can cover:

  • Damage to the Physical Structure: this does not always include other structures on your property, like garages or sheds
  • Personal Possessions: this applies even if they’re not in your home at the time damage occurs
  • Temporary Living Expenses: this helps to cover costs if your home is uninhabitable after it’s been damaged
  • Personal Liability: this helps to cover you in case someone is injured or his/her property is damaged while in your home

So, did you notice that California Flood Insurance isn’t on that list?  That’s because it isn’t covered by a standard homeowners policy.  However, there are options available for you to add it on to your current policy, providing you with this specialized type of coverage:

  • Flood damage to the physical structure of your house, including damage to your water heater and furnace
  • Flood damage to your clothes, furniture, appliances, and carpets (note: there are some limitations if you have a basement)
  • Costs incurred in preventing damage by flood (e.g., sandbags)
  • Clean-up costs incurred after a flood (e.g., debris removal)

With the rainy forecast that’s been predicted, don’t run the risk that your home could be damaged in the event of a flood.  Give us a call today and we’ll be happy to help you find the right coverage to protect your home!